Higher-Land Occupational Therapy, PLLC - returning you to an active life

blocks to healing
business side
My experiences
powered by

My Blog

my MFR beginning

Though I am good at what I do (OT and myofascial release), I am not at all good at computer stuff. Consequently, this is my first blog. I would like to begin by just saying that "blog" is an annoying sounding word to me, sounding much like a bodily function. Still,  I like the idea. I have decided that my first blog will be about how I came across JFB-MFR.
  I was working an internship in hand therapy during my final semester of MOT school. I had a patient with regional sympathetic dystrophy. If you don't know what that is, be thankful. It is painful for these patients for the therapist (or anyone or anything) to even touch the affected parts. I was trying to treat her, but everything I did textbook made her worse. Being the nerd I am, I went on a search. I typed in RSD, and up popped the face of a man who happens to look like my uncle, and his eyes absolutely captured me, so I studied more. I asked questions of my clinical instructors, but they had no idea. I dropped the idea for a time, until 2009, when I had the opportunity to go to one of John Barnes' classes. I was hooked within the first hour. after 3 days, I came home and used it with success with every patient I had, even babies with spina bifida! The anecdotal success stories still amaze me. JFB-MFR therapists believe in the innate ability of the human body to heal itself. We facilitate this self healing. I love this idea, because it plays right into my philosophy as an occupational therapist that my best job is complete when I give back to each patient his/her own power, autonomy, and volition.
  To this day, I am thrilled and amazed by each story of healing my patients have to tell me. I learn from each one, I laugh and cry with each one. It never gets old, never EVER gets boring! I am continually amazed by the success of this work. I guess I shouldn't be surprised anymore, but I do so love surprises!

8 Comments to my MFR beginning:

Comments RSS
Kim Abell on Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:36 AM
You are fantastic at what you do and I don't know how I would've gotten through the past year without your help!
Reply to comment

Cassie Patzig on Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:25 PM
thank you, I am honored to work with you toward healing!

katherine on Tuesday, September 17, 2013 8:48 PM
love your blog! very informative and real :) Thank you for sharing. (OT/MFR therapist)
Reply to comment

Cassie Patzig, OTR on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 11:10 AM
Thank you for visiting my site, Katherine! you wouldn't happen to be close to Lubbock, would you?

Stefek on Saturday, November 09, 2013 5:12 PM
unnecessary expense
Reply to comment

Cassie F Patzig, OTR on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 11:08 AM
Stefek, I understand your concern with expense considering the state of medicine and the economy right now. your comment brings up a good point. I posted another blog regarding expense because I thought it is a good enough point to debate in its own right. thank you. Cassie P

Shelly on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:59 PM
I have to disagree with the unnecessary expense. MR actually has ended up saving us quite a bit of money overall. My husband is a Firefighter/Paramedic, and takes a lot of stress to his feet. The rigors of his job, plus being very flat footed added up to a very painful plantar fascitis. He made an appointment with a Podiatrist, but of course it was weeks before they could get him in. In the mean time, Cassie treated him three times. The first treatment gave a marked relief from pain, and the two consecutive treatments left him with nearly complete pain relief. By the time he saw the scheduled dr, he no longer needed the injection, pain medications or steroids that he was going to get. That was the unnecessary expense, not to mention putting up with a grumpy husband/daddy from the steriods, 'fake' pain relief from an injection, and potential damage to liver from constant pain meds. Initially I was skeptical, I'm not going to lie! But after begin treated by Cassie for a strained shoulder, and at another time a sore hip, I became a believer in MR! My husband was also skeptical about MR, but he had some very important training coming up and had to be in good physical shape, however was unable to walk much less run and perform the strenous activities required of this particular training. I convinced him to give Cassie and MR a try, and he is also now a believer. My biggest concern about Myofacial Release is now why do we as a population not know more about it, and why is it not offered more as a means of pain management rather than addictive pain medications? I am so glad I was introduced to this and I try to send everyone I know who has a problem with pain to Cassie. That being said, I need an appointment... My texter's thumb is hurting!

Kim Abell on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 8:23 PM
The benefits far outweigh the cost of MFR therapy. I have been having treatment from Cassie for about a year and a half and just the self treatment procedures she has taught me alone would be worth any amount of money I had. If you go from living a productive life and are a strong individual, mentally and physically, and bam, one day your life is completely changed due to an illness that drs. can't even provide medical advice for because it's such a newly diagnosed disorder and you can no longer do things you have spent your life doing because you no longer have the strength and some days the will, because all you feel like doing is hiding under your covers, you would go to any expense possible to be anything close to normal, or at least your old normal. I was recently in the hospital with a feeding tube and had to swallow some medications and they went sideways and got stuck. Cassie had taught me how to work on my gag reflex with MFR and I performed the procedure on myself that she showed me and it opened up my throat enough to get the meds moving. My nurse was a little in awe that it worked and had me show her how I did it so she could show other patients if the need ever arose. At the end of a stressful day there are relaxation techniques that relax the body that have been a tremendous help in just trying to stay in some kind of shape to stay functional. I would offer you the advice to give it a chance and see if the cost doesn't far outweigh the pain and if you don't see pretty quick results I would be much surprised and I believe you would change your mind about the expense. I will say it again, I don't know what I would have done without Cassie the past year and a half! She has made my life bearable when almost nothing else was. She loves what she does and genuinely cares for each and every one of her patients.